Site news

How important is self belief? Ask Saina Nehwal

How important is self belief? Ask Saina Nehwal

by Tapas Das -
Number of replies: 0

'My inner self told me I am beck', says Saina

The sound of the shuttle hitting the strings of the racquet has always been music. It drives me forward. It's happening again -- life just cannot get better.

Playing in the 21-game format day in and day out, sometimes you feel that you need a change. Maybe, you start feeling that a shorter format would have been exciting. Luckily enough, the Premier Badminton League is around the corner, and for good.

When you stay away from the courts for rehab, there are moments when you start doubting yourself. It's a part of human psyche from which there is no escape. But first the China Open and then the Macau Open where I made to the quarterfinals have helped me regain my confidence. My inner self told me that 'I am back' to what I do best. I am all geared up for the Dubai Open next and will then go all out from January 1in the PBL.

The format of the PBL will allow me to test myself further. The shorter format is faster and more intense where players don't hold themselves back but come all out. It will test my stamina and fitness. I am confident that I will be at my best. At the same time, it allows you to experiment and try out new things which, perhaps, you only try during your daily practice sessions. At the end, the PBL will only help you evolve as a player.

Recovery in such an event is the key to success. Badminton usually drains you out and here at PBL there are no rest days. On top of that, there is immense travelling involved and it takes a toll. But that's what professional badminton is all about. The PBL is not for the weak and faint hearted.

I'm sure the crowd will love it. There will be days when even before you settle down in the stadium or the sofa, someone may have run away with a match.

Temerity had impressively won her last four starts after losing on her debut last January. The biggest challenge to Temerity will come from Devoted Eyes and Bangalore challenger Hall Of Famer. Shroff trainee Mrs Patmore is a dark horse. Keep an eye on her.