Number of replies: 2

hi 

do read:

http://www.outlookindia.com/article/a-venal-commandment/294826

and let me have your views. I am conducting a survey

In reply to Hemant Purandare

Re: ethical orientations of indians

by Rachna Sharma -

I think in some of these cases, these powerful figures are not motivated by greed. As the author rightly says, as a culture we are so used to 'jugad' that it no longer seems corruption to use official resources for personal benefits. 

Also, culturally, we are more people-oriented, than task-focused; so helping people in need (whether it is through referring them for jobs, or otherwise) is seen as benevolence, rather than unethical or questionable integrity.

Lastly, as a society, we do not see things in black and white....there are various shades of grey in between. And that makes it difficult for us to classify our behavior as ethical or unethical. So while we are not being overtly dishonest, we are not completely honest either. And it is perfectly acceptable. So unless we have been openly corrupt - as in accepting a bribe - we will be quite taken aback if someone suggests that we have done our jobs with anything less than complete integrity.

In reply to Hemant Purandare

Re: ethical orientations of indians

by Rachna Sharma -

As I'm sure are Rajat Gupta, Anshu Jain, who has since been cleared of charges of lying in the Libor Rate issue and Nikesh Arora